Utah Tech University

Your GI Bill®

Using Your Benefits

Important — Student Standards and Information

  • Department of Veterans Affairs regulations require that all persons using any type of veterans educational assistance programs be making satisfactory academic progress toward achievement of their education objective (degree plan) as defined in the UT catalog. If satisfactory academic progress has not been demonstrated , veterans educational benefits will be terminated until such progress can be demonstrated. UT academic standards can be located in the University Catalog.
  • See Standards of Student Conduct as outlined in Student Rights and Responsibilities Code.
  • A student may not hold an UNDECIDED major for longer than 2 semesters.
  • Students admitted to UT as a non-resident may apply for In-State Tuition based upon Military Exceptions by going to Residency Requirements

If you have questions please contact the Veterans Services office in the Browning Bldg 1st floor.
Get Started  Document Checklist



Required forms/documentation to be submitted to UT Veterans Office

  • Certificate of eligibility (You receive this 4-6 weeks after completing the VA.GOV application)
  • DD Form 214 Member 4 copy (All veterans/service members)
  • Review and sign the UT-VA Statement of Understanding and Procedure Form.
  • Request official military transcripts
    • ARMY, NAVY, MARINES & COAST GUARD — use the Joint Service Transcript.
    • AIR FORCE use: CCAF Transcript.
    • ACE recommendations from the Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experiences in the Armed Services and the review by the academic department determines the acceptance of military course credit. Credit acceptance is determined upon evaluation and correlation to existing degree plans. Upon request, students have the option to submit JST credit for general electives if the degree pathway calls for them.
    • Scores for military credit are not included in any GPA calculation.

(Chapter 33) Course Purge, Holds, Charges Not Covered

Chapter 33 includes Transfer of Entitlements (TOE) and Fry Scholarships.

To avoid having classes dropped or late fees being assessed, the online Semester Certification Form Form must be submitted 30 days prior to the class start day of the semester in order to receive VA payments on time.

In order to avoid having classes dropped for non-payment/or holds placed that prevent future registration, all documentation required for benefits must be submitted to the UT Veterans Office. The following charges are NOT paid by the VA: Late fees, parking fees, tickets, testing fees, transcripts, library fines etc.

(Chapter 33) Books/supplies Stipend

The Books/Supplies Stipend is paid each semester based on the credit hours that apply to your declared major and based on your eligibility percentage. These funds are paid directly to the student. The maximum Books/Supplies Stipend is $1,000 per academic year. The academic year resets every August 1st. Books purchased on your UT account will not be paid by the VA as authorized fees. These will need to be paid by the student.

(Chapter 33) Monthly Housing Allowance

MHA is generally the same as the military Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents. The MHA is based on the zip code for UT (84770) or the extension campus where the majority of your classes are taught such as the Hurricane Center (84737) or the Taylor Building (84790). Housing pay is affected by the number of credits you are taking and the eligibility percentage as stated on your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA. To receive housing, you must have a VA attendance rate of more than ½ time (6.5+ credits for a regular semester). A reduced amount is paid if ALL courses are online. The MHA will be prorated depending on the number of days school is in session each month. The VA calculates every month as 30 days.

(Chapter 33) Tuition And Fees

YOU are RESPONSIBLE for paying tuition and fees REGARDLESS of your VA benefits received. The VA will only pay up to the Utah resident rate of tuition/fees (if you are out-of-state resident, please visit the UT Veterans Office for assistance).

Tuition/fees are reported to the VA AFTER the Last Day to Drop Individual Classes (about 6 weeks into the semester) (see the academic calendar) and AFTER the online Semester Certification Form has been submitted to the UT Veterans Office. The amount of tuition/fees paid is proportionate to your eligibility percentage as determined by the VA. Since the VA is the last payer, scholarships that waive tuition or fees are deducted. Financial Aid (PELL Grants/Stafford Loans etc.) are NOT deducted from tuition/fees submitted to the VA for payment to the school. If you do not want your PELL grant or loans to be applied to your tuition and fees, when filling out the Semester Certification Request form, please select “Yes” when asked “Will you be receiving Pell grants or loans and will you need monies from these dispersed on the first week of school due to financial hardship?” and you will be given the link to the Hardship Request Form which will be required to be submitted to ensure you receive your Pell or grants the first week of school.

Any VA Debt for tuition and fees will be applied to your student account for collection.”

(Chapters 1606, 30 and 35)

All funds are paid directly to the student, either by direct deposit (preferred method) or by paper check. No funds are paid to the school. You may use the funds as you wish. It is your responsibility to make arrangements with the school to cover the cost of tuition and fees. A payment plan for tuition and fees is available for an additional $40 fee.

Advance payments for FALL Semesters (if you are not enrolled in the Summer Semester previous to FALL), or Spring Semesters (if that is your beginning semester and you were not enrolled in the Fall Semester previous to Spring) are now authorized. You must submit the Advance Payment Request form no later than 30 days prior to the class start day of the requested semester. The form outlines the process and criteria you will be required to follow. Advance payments, will pay the first 2 months of benefits, see the form for more detail

(Chapters 1606 & 30) Verification of Enrollment

To receive veteran benefit payments, you will need to log onto the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E) website and complete your monthly verification. To log in, your file number is your SSN and the first time password is the last 6 digits of your SSN. Alternatively, you may call 1-877-823-2378 to verify your enrollment. The last day of each month of attendance is the earliest you may verify your enrollment

(Chapters 1606) Tuition Assistance

The Department of Defense will not authorize Federal Tuition Assistance towards classes for which a student is also receiving benefits under chapter 1606.

Visit National Guard Website

(Chapter 31) Vocational Readiness and Employment Program

It is your responsibility to ensure you have an approved Purchase Order (PO) for the semester your are requesting certification. Please contact your VA Vocational Readiness Counselor for more information.


   Still have a question?

Submit a Question to VA

Karl Watters

Director of Veteran and Military Services

Email: veterans@utahtech.edu

Phone: 435-879-4688

Fax: 435-879-4005

Office: Browning 116